Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z - Zahra

Image Source

I see your condescending look 
When you see I'm still childless at thirty
I see the pity in your eyes 
When you are quick to judge 

I may decide to have a child or I may not
I may be fighting my own battles 
Or I may be childless by choice 
But your opinion is the last thing I need

Next time you ply me with details of your offspring
Please know that I'm only being polite 
When I listen to things that I can't relate to 
That makes me want to stifle a yawn or two

Sure, it's a miracle of life that you created 
That doesn't mean I have to agree 
Rather than creating miniature versions of you
Make them better, best versions 

Give them the freedom to think 
Of their own without imposing your thoughts
Guide them, but don't stifle 
What does she know, she's not a mother 

I can almost hear you think 
Well, it doesn't matter, does it?
Just like how I never asked for your opinion, 
Yet you still gave me yours


Linking this post to the A to Z Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. This such a meaningful poem and a must read. Congratulations on successfully completing the challenge!,😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ramya! Yayy :) Congrats to you too!

      Delete
  2. Amazing and thought provoking, Aathira. You've nailed the challenge and what words. Couldn't be a better, fitting reply!!

    https://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/a2z-challenge-xenoblade/

    https://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/10328/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vishal! Congrats to you as well :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! As a childless woman (by choice) I can totally relate to this! If one more person tells me my biological clock is ticking, I think the alarm may go off lol :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :D This has been thrown on my face a lot of times as well!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the 2016 A to Z Challenge! Nicely done.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written. I can really relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all congratulations for completing the challenge.
    Yes there are many parents who impose themselves on their children. It is a sad sight. And the free advice that comes from these people to us! There are people who remind me it is 'time' to have another kid! I mean- why can't people mind their own businesses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anita! People are always more interested in what goes on in the next house than their own. If only people would mind their own business!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...