Saturday, April 11, 2015

J - Jasmine

Image courtesy: Google


I watch her get dressed for her wedding; she made a beautiful bride. The ruby red of her saree complimented her skin tone, the wedding jewelry was handpicked by her mother specially for the grand occasion. The bangles caressed her hands, the jasmine buds kissed her hair. I'm however, busy clicking pictures, capturing each perfect moment of her special day through my lens. Each shot frozen in time; her smile reaching her eyes in all of them. 

Sometimes, she looks up at me and smiles, a rosy glow on her cheeks which I know is not the effect of any makeup. She is my best friend. And today, she is stepping into another phase of her life. Like most friendships, I know that this would change our relationship forever. 

Was I in love with her? Who am I kidding. It wasn't love. It never was. Did I have a crush on her? Couple of years back I had asked myself the same question. Maybe she felt it too. Which was why when I had kissed her that night she didn't resist me. She simply closed her eyes and gave in to my kiss, almost as though she had been expecting it all night. 

I still remember that night clearly. It was the night of a friend's engagement party. She was dressed in a midnight blue lehenga that brought out her dark eyes. The crystals on them shone in the moon light as she moved. But what mesmerized me were the jasmine buds she had woven into her hair. Maybe she knew what it was doing to me as she continued to flirt with me on our drive back. 

The locks of her hair that came undone when I had pushed my hands in them as I kissed her had the sweet fragrance of jasmine in them. The same scent lingered in my car long after she left, reminding me of what we had and what we could have been. 

And today, the drops of water that was sprayed on the jasmine buds to keep them fresh throughout the day reminds me of the beads of sweat that had formed above her upper lip just before I had kissed her. I shake my head. This can't happen now. It was too late. I click a final picture before she leaves the room all decked up as the gorgeous bride. She looks back and gives me a wistful smile. 

Maybe, in this life we are not meant to be, Darling girl. But there would come a time when you are you and I am me and we can love each other honestly. Until then, I wish you nothing but all the happiness that you so deserve. You are magic. And you were mine. Don't ever forget that. 




Linking this post to the A to Z Challenge

32 comments:

  1. I loved your narration :) But Why did they have to part ways? :(

    Just Listen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this addiction for the smell of jasmines too. I feel attracted to that smell.:p
    Nicely narrated Aathira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love the smell of jasmines :) Thanks Preethi.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful post, Aathira! They seem so right for each other! Why didn't they fall in love, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and evocative. I could feel the entire story as if I experienced it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully narrated Aathira! :) However, I'm sad that they didn't marry each other. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elly! Maybe they shall belong to each other in another story :)

      Delete
  6. What stopped him from accepting her? she doesn't look like she would have resisted him...but having said that, I know that feeling exactly and now I am asking myself the same question that I asked you! Such is life!

    Loved your narration, so gripping, and taut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly :) Love and life are complicated, right? Thanks so much, Titli :)

      Delete
  7. Very touching and realistic. What you really wish for, you never get. Especially in Love. Very very few are the Lucky ones who have the cake and get to eat it too. Well written, Aathira, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully narrated. We rise in love, don't we?! I believe in free love, enjoying the moments and phase of intimacy, true feeling yet love unconditionally without attachment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Ranveer!

      Delete
  9. The way you narrate about love and relationships always leaves me amazed. I simply loved the way the story moved and the detailing that has been taken care of. You are surely a talented writer A :) Keep going....good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words, Sushree!

      Delete
  10. Why can I relate to this so well? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the way you started it.. excellent narration Aathira

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the parting narration the most! Feelings are too complicated or maybe too simple to figure it out on time. Some are lucky and some aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my Love :) It's never easy making choices.

      Delete
  13. love this story.. just wow... again your narration does it's magic...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow, I found the last para beautiful. There's so much you've written here Aathira. Lots to read between lines. Ah! And the details in the first paragraph..... superb! Love those tiny details.... :) Will want to read more on those details sometime when u write down!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "You are magic. And you were mine." ... So beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes.. you can't define some relations. very well narrated Aathira :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love your female characters. They are strong and get up to all sorts of mischief :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love your female characters. They are strong and get up to all sorts of mischief :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...