Monday, April 27, 2015

W - Wild



Wild was a movie that I had been looking forward to watching for quite sometime. There were so many good reviews going around and the story itself seemed interesting to me. So I finally sat down to watch it sometime last month. 

The film is based on Cheryl Strayed's memoir Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. Like all bibliophiles, I would have liked to read it first before watching. Unfortunately, I didn't have a copy with me. I plan on buying one soon though. Anyway, coming back to the story, Cheryl (played by Reese Witherspoon) is a twenty six year old who sets out to hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail alone in order to heal and find herself again. 

We all react to grief in different ways. When Cheryl, at twenty two years, loses her mother to cancer, she is devastated. As she says in the movie "She was the love of my life". In order to cope with the loss, she gets involved in drugs use, cheats on her husband with other men and eventually gets divorced. When there is a void in our life, we try to fill it with whatever things that we imagine will help us even in a small way. 

Finally, at twenty-six, after years of self destructive behavior, Strayed sets out alone on a hike seeking some sort of closure as a means of healing herself. The film alternates between the past and the present, showing us glimpses of her life as a child, teenager and young adult. The special relationship she shares with her mother is a central part of the story. 

We are also subject to some of the desperate measures that one is subject to while hiking alone on such a long journey. She breaks down, endures physical discomfort to a great level but holds on and comes out of it. Is this a light and entertaining movie? No. It will stay with you for a long time. Some of the images are quite graphic in nature. If you are up for it, do give it a watch. Wild is a movie that will make you introspect and think. 

This is a movie that shows us that we are not alone. It is possible to overcome grief. Even when it feels like you won't be able to make it to the next day. One step at a time and before you realize it, you shall be at the end of a reckless journey. Reese Witherspoon has done a very convincing job at portraying Strayed. If you are looking for a movie that makes you think, in ways more than one, give it a try. It may not be for everyone, but I sure liked it. In case you have watched it already, do let me know your thoughts below.


 

Linking this post to the A to Z Challenge

32 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie. Sounds like an inspirational movie. Will look it up.
    Suzy at Someday Somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good one. I'll be torrenting it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know your thoughts once you are done!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good movie. We have our own ways of handling grief and overcoming them. It reminded me of Forrest Gump when after his girl leaves him Tom Hanks goes on a very long run across America :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Forest Gump. Shall watch it soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Seems interesting enough to watch, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if the film gave a strong message, which is always good. But you have to be in the right frame of mind to filter the good aspects from the bad actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the case with all movies, right? You need to know which is right for you.

      Delete
  6. If there is one thing I'm terrified of, it is losing someone close. I'm sure I'll flood the place with tears if I watch the movie, so should I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I think you will enjoy this one. Try it :)

      Delete
  7. However the movie is... But your review made it worth watching. And Reese Witherspoon is one hell of a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, Reese Witherspoon sure is a talented woman.

      Delete
  8. Haven't watched, but I think I'm gonna watch this one. Or better, get my hands on the book :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get my hands on the book too :) Let me know your thoughts once you do!

      Delete
  9. I have wanted to watch it when I first saw the trailer. Loved reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you will enjoy it just as much.

      Delete
  10. I do worry about my future when my parents pass - I need to stop doing that but also need to realize there is so much love and support around me! Thank you for this review - I do want to watch the movie - not interested in reading this book though.
    @Door2LoreSue
    PowerofStoryABlog - Every Hero Has a Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Losing a loved one is something that terrifies all of us. Do let me know your thoughts once you watch it :)

      Delete
  11. I have been meaning to watch the movie but I am a bit scared that the loss of mother story arc will hit a bit close to home. But I do wanna see. Great review btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Try it. It's taken in a different way :)

      Delete
  12. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of the A to Z Ambassador Team! (I'm a minion/volunteer under Arlee.)
    Don't forget our after party. The Reflections Linky List will open on Monday May 4th. (For links directly to posts, not to general blog addresses.)
    I've followed you on GFC. Great post. I haven't seen it yet. Does look interesting though.
    -J @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'm on my way to hop over to your blog :)

      Delete
  13. Your review has piqued my interest. Will certainly check this one out. Thanks for sharing, Aathira. :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of the movie though haven't seen it yet. Now with your prompting of a great review, I shall surely consider it: Thanks Aathira! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. haven't watched it..but your review makes me want to watch it...maybe i'll save it for someday when I'm feeling really low or sad..just for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it just as much. Thanks Titli :)

      Delete
  16. I haven't heard of this movie before, and I wonder why; it sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...