Friday, April 24, 2015

U - Umbrella

Image courtesy: Google


I watch her walk in the rain, the blue umbrella in her hand threatening to fold backward any moment in the wind. She is dressed in an emerald green dress, but it's wet, clinging to her curvaceous body, the shade in the dark looks almost black. 

She waits at the bus stop. Whom is she waiting for? A flash of lightening illuminates her face. I'm not sure if it was the rain, but her face is dripping wet. Is she crying? Or is it my mind playing tricks on me like always?

I don't go and talk to her, though that is what I'm dying to do. She is my addiction, an elixir in my otherwise dry life. The fragrance of wet earth and rain surrounds us. The bus stop is deserted. There is no one but me and her. I want to push the wet hair from her face, I want to know what her skin would feel like beneath my fingers. Will her hands be rough from conducting daily chores? Or will they be soft and supple like the jasmine flowers that she sometimes used to adorn her hair?

I watch a car stop not far away and couple of men getting out and approaching her. I'm angry, yet I do nothing but watch them. There seems to be some sort of argument. After a few minutes, she gets into the car with them. She catches my eye before closing the car's door, a wistful look on her face. 

What does she see when she looks at me? My torn clothes, the broken umbrella that has failed to keep even a strand of hair on my head dry or my begging bowl? I bid her goodbye silently; I know she will be back tomorrow. Just like yesterday or the day before. Just like how I know she is going to be cursed for the rest of her life. Like me. We would make a great pair. Me and her. Only if she would realize that. 



Linking this post to the A to Z Challenge


33 comments:

  1. A dark tale indeed. Love does not see any barrier nor does it see any logic. They would make a good pair-but both are bound by their fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Prasanna! Love has so many shades that we can explore :)

      Delete
  2. As the tale proceeded I had many figures that conformed to the 'I'. But you surprised me at the end. I never thought he was a beggar who was in love with her.
    I love your narration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, My Lady <3 You sure know how to lift my spirits :)

      Delete
  3. Intriguing tale, that draws one in. I enjoyed reading it, brilliantly written, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love fails all logic. Beautiful narration and it mad em miss rain more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was missing rains too as I wrote it. Guess it's evident huh! Thanks Love :)

      Delete
  5. That was a unique twist at the end - one I didn't see coming. Such a sad tale. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurel :) Glad I could manage that element of surprise!

      Delete
  6. So much depth and sadness in this tale. Nicely done Aathira.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some love stories just don't happen. Beautifully moving tale, Athira!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not see that one coming. Interesting and unique twist. Nicely done, Aathira. :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally unexpected image of the man and woman! Bravo for dealing with a not-so-glamorous-looking love story! Brilliant Aathira :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vidya! I try to steer away from cliches as much as possible :)

      Delete
  10. This is so beautifully written Aathira. An image of the noir executed in such an amazing way. My take is also the Umbrella:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ranveer! I liked your take too :)

      Delete
  11. This was an 'u'nspoken,'u'nscalable & 'u'ndefiled love story (;
    Beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aah... that was a fantastic twist! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I simply love the way you set the plot, the description.. so elegant and subtle..
    This indeed is a good one!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems like two ends of the spectrum in life! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. An extremely disturbing story but very well narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a sad tale! in spite of the love, they know they can never be together! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...