Monday, April 20, 2015

Q - Quintessential

Image Source

He was the quintessential guy of my dreams. Sexy with chiseled jaws, wealthy enough to own a chain of companies all over the world, masculine in a way that I found rare in the guys who had wooed me till now. In short, I had lost my heart to him. Yeah, the kind of love that makes your insides quiver and makes you go weak in the knees.

It was love at first sight for me. I was however, a nobody in his perfect, sparkling life. A struggling model trying to find her way to the top. All I had were good looks and a dwindling bank balance that would hardly get me through a couple months unless I landed a contract with one of the top modelling agencies.  

"You are blessed with good looks, but do you know how to use them?" my agent had asked me. I knew that the subtle tone he had used was far from innocent. In life, you have to lose some to win some. I had learnt it the hard way. 

I knew that it wasn't easy to get noticed in a crowd of pretty faces. With the right amount of contact and pressure, I cracked my way into his life. Though I felt guilty in taking advantage of him, I had no other choice. If only he would recommend me. I needed a much needed break; my tension had begun bordering on desperation. 

He had taken me in his arms and made me his with an ease that I failed to comprehend initially. I was the convenient arm candy. Love had never entered the equation, for him anyway. The arrangement was convenient. For both of us. 

That night, I wrapped my body seductively around his for the crowd all throughout dinner. I knew that we made a handsome couple. The classic couple, one that was the darling of the paparazzi. 

As he dropped me off at my apartment, he leaned in close and kissed my cheek. One so light that it was barely noticeable. Despite knowing everything, I felt my heart give a tiny flutter in my rib cage. Affection, and nothing more, I reminded myself. 

I held him in a tight embrace before stepping out of the chauffeur driven car. He had given me so much in the past few months, the priceless of all being hope. This would be the last night that he would need me. Tomorrow, he's flying away to Paris, a city where a man loving another man is not condemned. Tomorrow, he would start a new life. As for me, tomorrow was going to be a new beginning. 

Thanks to him, I had finally found a footing in the modelling world. More importantly, he had shown me that it was okay to have your heart broken, but not your dreams. That with the right person, love can be magical. As I turned I climbed the stairs to my apartment, I realized with a smile on my face that he was anything but quintessential. 


Linking this post to the A to Z Challenge



35 comments:

  1. Be back for another visit :)
    A to Z blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it!! Just the right emotions, words and sophistication! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how realistic your story is, depicting emotions that are often misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True revelations of emotions.. Enjoyed reading it Aathira..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a nice piece of twist and reality too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A superb story and I loved this line "it was okay to have your heart broken, but not your dreams". Sometimes we see no future in a relationship, still we can't help but fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Prasanna. Sometimes, we are all fools on love :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh! That was a nice twist Aathira :) Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. well written! lovely story Aathira! very sensitively handled :)
    My A-Z: http://sundarivenkatraman.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, realistic story and I love the word "Quintessential'. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved her realization at the end! Good for her (or else how would she survive?!) ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the story. "He had given me so much in the past few months, the priceless of all being hope." - This was beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Its okay to have your heart broken, not your dreams" - that's going to stay with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Its okay to have your heart broken, not your dreams" - that's going to stay with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Better late than never (my comment is a few days late ;) )Sometimes we all have to make really hard choices but as long as it gets us to what we truly want, I guess it is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to see comments. No matter how late ;) Thanks Vidya!

      Delete
  15. Loved the narration. And yes at times our dreams matter more than our heart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know how much I like a happy ending. Even though it was not exactly a happy ending, sounded like a happy ending to me. He was certainly not quintessential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a 'quintessential' happy ending. But they both got what they wanted. So yes, it's a win-win :) Thanks Preethi! I shall pen a happy story just for you soon :)

      Delete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...